As an English teacher in Japan, students often ask me why they can’t seem to become better at speaking English or cannot improve more quickly.
There are many obstacles but the most important reason is that students do not speak English enough. Pure and simple, if you want to become good at speaking English you have to speak it as often as possible and talk about as many topics as you can.
- If your teacher or school organizes an event that will be attended by several native speakers and the teachers and other students who, like you, want to speak English, as much as possible, you should attend such events.
- While riding the train if you see a foreigner who seems friendly and not menacing, you might try talking to him or her.
- While riding the train you should take advantage of listening to English podcasts or practicing vocabulary using your smartphone etc.
- Watch English TV programs in English with subtitles instead of listening to the dubbed Japanese. (Existence of dubbed programs is an obstacle but you can avoid it. Be strong!)
- Take advantages of the hundreds of free English exercises available in the app store for Apple and Android phones.
- Use social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. If you are careful, you can make good friend and practice English much more often.
- Use the exercises available in my room at smithweb.co.jp. (Alの部屋).
So if you want to speak English better, just find someone to speak with and speak: Simple advice but it is the most effective way.
Leave a Reply